Hutt City Libraries Online Heritage Collection > Texts

Petone's First 100 Years (1940)


Jackson Street.
Petone's Business Area.

page thumbnail

A contrast: Jackson Street, Petone before and after widening operations.

page thumbnail

A contrast: Jackson Street, Petone before and after widening operations.

Visitors to Petone who knew it as it was some twenty years ago will hardly recognise Jackson Street as it is to-day, a business thoroughfare which will compare favourably with any in the Dominion.
Jackson Street was never intended to be the main business street or in the first place, a street at all. It was full of angles and widths varying from 40' to 66'. During the years spasmodic attempts were made to give it a more fully alignment and much was done, but it was not until 1926 that any real considered policy was adopted.
The question arose when Mr. C. Tringham proposed building a large block of shops on the northern side of Jackson Street from the corner of Nelson Street eastward. The Council then decided to request Mr. Tringham to set his building back to a new alignment which gave a maximum width of 66' to that portion of Jackson Street from Victoria Street to just beyond Britannia Street; the rest of the street being already 66' wide.
The Council then decided on the policy of requiring all owners to get back to the new alignment and except in one case, the work was carried out by a private agreement with each of the owners.
The first loan raised was for £10,000 in 1926 and the second one for £35,000 in 1931. Unlike many undertakings, the work was carried out for £4,000 less than estimated and the loans Board has given the Council permission to expend the balance in widening Udy Street.
The distance buildings have been set back varies from 19'-2" to less than 2'.
The widening operations involved negotiations with twenty- eight owners, and covered thirty buildings as well as six sections.
The work was held up for two years during the depression, and was finally completed with the setting back of Hepworth's Building in 1938.

All images and text on this website are for personal use only. No material may be reproduced, communicated or copied other than for the purposes of research or study, criticism or review, or reporting the news without the Library's permission. Use and referral of material for these purposes must include full and proper acknowledgement. Reproduction of material for other purposes may incur a fee. For more information see our contact details