Hutt City Libraries Online Heritage Collection > Texts

Petone's First 100 Years (1940)

255

Petone Police Station

The first Police Station at Petone was established fifty-three years ago— viz., in September, 1886—and was located in Nelson Street, Petone. In the following year it was removed to premises on the Hutt Road, and in January, 1896, it was again moved to a site in Nelson Street. The present Station in Elizabeth Street was erected and occupied in 1909.
The Station was in charge of one Constable until 1899, when an additional Constable was appointed. In 1909, a Sergeant was placed in charge, and in 1921 the number of Constables was increased to four. In 1931, two Constables and a Detective were added to the staff, and since then two more Constables have been appointed. The present staff consists of a Senior-Sergeant, Detective-Sergeant and eight Constables.
The first Constable in charge of Petone Police Station was Constable P. Leahy, and his successors in charge of the Station and the dates of their appointments are as follows:—
Constable P. Lyster 4/4/1890
Constable M. Cox 31/1/1896
Sergeant J. Forster 7/3/1909
Sergeant A. S. Bird 25/10/1916
Senior-Sergeant E. J. McKelvey 13/12/1923
Senior-Sergeant H. Butler 1/6/1931
Senior-Sergeant C. E. Roach 11/7/1933
Senior-Sergeant G. Sivyer 18/6/1934
Senior-Sergeant H. C. D. Wade 23/7/1936

All images and text on this website are for personal use only. No material may be reproduced, communicated or copied other than for the purposes of research or study, criticism or review, or reporting the news without the Library's permission. Use and referral of material for these purposes must include full and proper acknowledgement. Reproduction of material for other purposes may incur a fee. For more information see our contact details