Hutt City Libraries Online Heritage Collection > Texts

Petone's First 100 Years (1940)

239

The First Hutt Valley Band

Brass Bands have had, in Petone as elsewhere, a somewhat chequered career. There have been times when more than one band competed for public favour—and other times when brass music was entirely absent. Petone, however, was the headquarters of one of the first brass bands formed in New Zealand.
Mr. N. Valentine, the proprietor of the Marine Retreat (now Grand National) Hotel, was the leading spirit in the formation of this band, the members of which were drawn from Lower Hutt and Petone.
In September, 1866, a framed group photograph of the band, as reproduced on the next page, was presented to Mr. Valentine, containing the following inscription:—
"Presented to Mr. N. Valentine.by the inhabitants of the Hutt District as a small but sincere token of their esteem, but more especially as an exponent of then sense of gratitude for his services voluntarily rendered in forming, instructing and conducting the Hutt Band to its present state of efficiency and usefulness. September, 1866."
Almost every name is a household word; no less than five have streets named after members of their families in Lower Hutt and Petone. They are Copeland, Valentine, Donnelly, Buick, and Williams.
240
page thumbnail

First Band—Photo Taken 1866.

All images and text on this website are for personal use only. No material may be reproduced, communicated or copied other than for the purposes of research or study, criticism or review, or reporting the news without the Library's permission. Use and referral of material for these purposes must include full and proper acknowledgement. Reproduction of material for other purposes may incur a fee. For more information see our contact details