Hutt City Libraries Online Heritage Collection > Texts

The New Zealand Journal, Saturday, February 8 (1840)


South Australia.

Progress of the Colony.—Letters and papers have been received from South Australia to the 5th October. The following is a summary of their contents:—
The Recovery, Anna Robertson, Glenswilly, and Prince Regent, emigrant ships, had arrived in safety at Port Adelaide.
The Government-house, which is described as a handsome stone building, on a most commanding and delightful site, within the park land, between North and South Adelaide, was fast approaching towards completion. Other buildings were in course of erection as public offices. A large and handsome Independent chapel, a Scotch kirk, and a Wesleyan chapel, were proposed to be built by subscription in Adelaide. The bridge across the Torrens was on the 4th of Oct. for the 1st time lighted with lamps.
Mr. Holloway had added to the stock already in the colony, 5,000 sheep and 200 cattle. This number will shortly be increased by the arrival of Capt. Finnis, who had reached the borders of the province, from New South Wales, with 22,000 sheep and 7,000 head of cattle.
Lieut. Frome, the Surveyor-general, had arrived in the colony: Capt, Sturt, the Surveyor-general, pro. tem., had, in consequence of being superseded by that gentleman, received the appointment of assistant-commissioner.
The Governor states that, through the great exertions of the surveying staff, the amount of land surveyed was practically in advance of the demand of the 80 acre purchasers. Thirty special surreys, of 4,000 acres each, had been purchased in the colony alone since the commencement of 1839.
An act for the "regulation, protection, and encouragement of fisheries," was expected to past the council; but, for some reason not clearly explained, the fishery at Encounter Bay had been suddenly broken up.
Mr. Oswald Giles has relinquished the offices of Colonial Treasurer, Accountant-General, and Collector of National Revenue. Mr. J. A. Jackson has been appointed his successor.
In consequence of the wise and judicious interference of the Government, our market has assumed a more settled aspect. The large supply of rice has reduced that article to 3d per pound, and flour is still selling by the committee at 65s per hundred pounds. Tea has taken another start; several lots have changed hands at 14l per chest. Sugar is falling in price, and may now be quoted at 32l to 40l. We understand that the Government have made large purchases of rice from the charterer of the Pleiades; and the committee are now selling that article at 30s per hundred weight. —Southern Australian.
The Cattle Company is flourishing almost beyond precedent. The shares, which cost 47l 10s, (that is, first cost 35l, call 10l, and 2l 10s for land purchase,) from a calculation now in car possession, we may estimate at 122l 10s each. The company have now 200 head of cows, besides bulls, horses, working-bullocks, pigs, and poultry; and send in to market 160 pounds of butter weekly.—Southern Australian.
It has been discovered that the river Murray is navigable for small craft, drawing three feet of water, from its "elbow," eight or ten miles from Victoria Harbour, to the great South Bend about 100 miles to the north-east of Adelaide.
Up to the 19th July last, the number of acres of land selected in the colony was 272,414.

All images and text on this website are for personal use only. No material may be reproduced, communicated or copied other than for the purposes of research or study, criticism or review, or reporting the news without the Library's permission. Use and referral of material for these purposes must include full and proper acknowledgement. Reproduction of material for other purposes may incur a fee. For more information see our contact details