Hutt City Libraries Online Heritage Collection > Texts

Lower Hutt Past and Present (1941)

23

Fort Richmond

The fort was designed by Captain Geo. Compton, who was in charge of the Hutt Militia, and was named after Major Richmond, the Superintendent of the Southern District. This stockade was 95 feet long-each way and built mostly of pukatea from Te Momi. One flanking bastion was 15 feet square and the other 12 feet square. The fort cost £124, exclusive of the timber, given by Captain Compton, and the settlers' labour, valued at £54/10/-. It was completed in April, 1845, and shortly afterwards the regular soldiers were garrisoned there. In 1847 a flood damaged the south-western turret and washed away one of the two brass carronades with which the fort was equipped.
page thumbnail

Fort Richmond and the Second Hutt Bridge, Built 1847.

(Redrawn from the original sketch by W. Swainson, F.R.S.).
—Courtesy Alexander Turnbull Library.
The Aglionby Arms, in its second position, and Molesworth's windmill, built in 1843, are on the extreme right.
The fort stood on the eastern bank of the river, north of the bridge.
The buildings shown in the stockade were removed about 1860, and in 1861 a two-storied block-house, similar in all respects to the one still in evidence at Wallaceville, was built on the site. In 1869 this building, which was used as a school, was removed to a site behind the present Post Office in Riddiford Park, where it was used as a school for several years. It was finally taken down about 1885.
Note:—In the preceding pages Maori names and places have been spelt in the original way, but in the subsequent articles the generally accepted versions have been used.
24
page thumbnail

Boulcott's Farm Stockade. 1846.

(Reproduced from the original by courtesy of Dr. P. Marshall.)
—From a painting by Lieut. G. H. Page.
This painting was made after the famous Boulcott Farm fight, and the grave of the soldiers who fell is depicted in the foreground.
25
page thumbnail

Te Mako, The Old Home of the Hon. Witako Ngatata, M.L.C., Near Park Avenue, About 1920.

—Courtesy J. C. Weir.
It is not known when this house was built, but a pa originally stood on this site, and was occupied by Wi Tako at the time of the great earthquake in 1855. It was situated between Park Avenue and Naenae Road, near a stream which was waist-high in the early days. It was here that Wi Tako's £3000 pataka was built and it is believed that there were seventeen rooms in the house when the property was sold to Mr. Beetham in 1880, when Wi Tako moved to his house on the Hutt Road near Wakefield Street. In the eighties the pataka was moved to Wellington and finally dismantled and shipped overseas. This historic home was destroyed by fire in 1928. Traces of old tracks and Maori ovens have been discovered by the present owner of the property, and a little further to the west Mr. T. Waugh found further Maori ovens and a 12-inch circular steel cooking dish a quarter of an inch thick. This has been used as a gong for over forty years and its note is well known in the district. Wi Tako, who died in 1887, assisted to drive the raiders from Boulcott's Farm in 1846.

All images and text on this website are for personal use only. No material may be reproduced, communicated or copied other than for the purposes of research or study, criticism or review, or reporting the news without the Library's permission. Use and referral of material for these purposes must include full and proper acknowledgement. Reproduction of material for other purposes may incur a fee. For more information see our contact details